We need you to help us remove the Himalayan Balsam (Not to be confused with Japanese Knotweed)
AppearanceHimalayan balsam is a tall growing annual, 2-3m (6-10ft) in height. Between June and October it produces clusters of purplish pink (or rarely white) helmet-shaped flowers. The flowers are followed by seed pods that open explosively when ripe.
The problemEach plant can produce up to 800 seeds. These are dispersed widely as the ripe seedpods shoot their seeds up to 7m (22ft) away. Some areas of the site are swamped by it.
ControlThe RHS recommends using non-chemical means such as pulling out the plant before the seed heads form. The roots are very shallow so very little effort is needed (just we have a lot of it!)
Our Plan is to have a mass balsam bash, where everyone from beavers to SASU's can help by simply pulling up the plants before they flower and seed. Gloves will be provided, but suitable boots or wellies and long pants should be worn.
The event is open to all but we're really looking for Groups or sections to come and spend an hour pulling up the balsm and then you will be able to have a wander around the new site. Note however, we have no buildings yet and only basic portaloo facilities. We do have a marquee up though.
- To attend the Group or Section Leader must register the number of people they will be bringing.
- To run things smoothly we need you to choose a slot time and the number of people you will bring.
- Time slots are hourly from 10:00 – 16:00. Please be ready to start 15minutes before your start time.
- You will be outdoors, wear appropriate clothing! Boots/Wellies and long trousers are a must!
- Young People are the responsibility of their section leader
- Limited refreshments will be provided
- Limited (portaloo style) toilet will be onsite
- Gardening style gloves will provided but if you have your own please bring them.
See this Google Map and directions for access
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
You can contact us via or Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No, but please make sure you have contact details for all your party.
Can I update my registration information?
Yes, on your confirmation email there is a link to edit your booking.
Can I camp?
There is currently no provision for groups to camp at Hollinwood overnight.